Dunraven Stud, Llanmihangle Farm, Pyle - Saturday 18 April 2015
Llanmihangel Mill is located north of the River Kenfig on a lane from Marlas Road, Pyle, to Llanmihangel Farm. This area is steeped in history and was at one time a monastic grange known as "The Grange of Saint Michael."
Llanmihangel Mill or Saint Michaels Mill as it was originally called was part of the Grange of Saint Michael the second largest grange of Margam Abbey. The Abbey itself was founded in 1147 AD & was endowed with a large tract of land between the rivers Avon & Kenfig by Robert Earl of Gloucester.
The Grange survived until the Dissolution of the Monastries by King Henry VIII and in 1540 it was sold like most of the Abbey's property to Sir Rice Mansel of the Margam Estate. The Margam Estate and its properties was sold during the 20th century. In 2004 Llanmihangel Farm was bought by the Dunraven Stud - http://www.dunravenstud.com/ - Llanmihangel Farm is private property and the Llangeinor Pentyrch Hunt hold an annual Point to Point event at this location.
All photos by Rob Bowen (ODPDS Creative -www.odpds.co.uk)
Copyright © Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2015