Photo Journal of Brombil Reservoir - Sat 23 May 2015
There was once a colliery at Brombil which was owned by Vivian & Sons of Taibach. Both Brombil Colliery & Morfa Colliery were owned by this company. These collieries supplied the coal needed for the Copper Works at Taibach.
Small coal levels were opened in Cwm-yr-Afr & Cwm Brombil between 1777 and 1780. The coal produced was conveyed to Taibach in carts. Circa 1814 another small level was opened in the Brombil Valley to help the Goytre Level. As the same coal seam was worked in Brombil as it was in Goytre the miners worked to meet each other. Eventually the Brombil acted as an airway for the Goytre Level; at this time the coal extracted from here wa carried along the main road to the Copper works in Taibach.
The Brombil Colliery's output was large enough not only to keep the works operational but sufficient enough to allow thousands of tons to be exported to Ireland and other locations. Mr Edward Daniel was the manager of Brombil Colliery at the time of its closure c.1880 when it was listed as "Not Working."
All photos by Rob Bowen (ODPDS Creative - www.odpds.co.uk)
Copyright © Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2015